CST 338 - Week 1

CST 338 - Software Design

I was pleased to find out CST 338 will be using Java. I've had the most experience working with Java, and what I like using best. (Trying out Python in the past couple of classes has been fun, too).
I've taken 6 classes using either Java or Javascript most of which used Eclipse or vim. Java is what I am most comfortable with. My second choice was C until the last two classes showed me how easy to learn Python was. My goal in computer science before starting the program was to learn enough of the basic skills to "get my foot in the door". I have always had an interest in working on software that is heavy on interactivity. With recent developments in how higher education is distributed (this program, for example) I've had my eye on positions in companies that work with interactive, educational software.


I'm excited to get back to "front-end-like" work since that has been the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the program so far. The final sounds particularly interesting, since it is more about planning the overall design of a potential piece of software. Also, it is a solo project which always feels like more of a challenge.

Our first week in CST 338 was a quick crash course in the basics of Java, so this week was a nice refresher on more of the "high-level" concepts of Java (e.g. the intepreter and compiler process). This course looks like it will let me get in more practice with Java while also learning the workflow and design process of larger-than-the-average-homework-assignment-sized-programs.

Week 25 down, officially 1/4 of the way through the program.

Comments

Popular Posts