CST 300 - Week 5

Part One: Teammate's Goals

**Blogger Still Won't Allow Me to Comment on Other Blog's**

Part Two: Possible Capstone Ideas

Case Study - "Libby" by OverDrive
     OverDrive is a service that provides ebook licenses to libraries, schools, and other institutions to any members. Their services also include audiobooks, music, video files, and usually whatever the institution is able to offer. OverDrive has been a standalone app that lets members of institutions request a book, and if it has not already been checked out, immediately download the book and use it until the check-in date. In 2017, they released Libby, a streamlined, visually updated version of their services. Libby guides users who may be unfamiliar with how to use a computer or more complex mobile phone apps. OverDrive already granted wider access to libraries among communities, and Libby is another step towards accessible education and enrichment.

2 ideas in 1: Research - Potential Uses of Smartphones in the Classroom
     According to the Pew Research Center (and personal experience), smartphone use among teens in the U.S. is almost ubiquitous at this point. But personal access to a reliable desktop or laptop computer in schools or at home is not. Once students reach middle school, there is very nearly a 1:1 attachment rate of internet and graphics capable smartphones for every student, at all times, which require no transition time to operate. Compare that to most low-income schools that have somewhere between 30-50 outdated desktop/laptop computers which are stored in one central location. The use of these computer labs must be scheduled in advance and the entire day's lesson must revolve around using the machines. A potential research capstone would be to find alternative methods that educators could use the technologies kids are already bringing into the classroom.
 Product - Educational Mobile Phone Game(s)
    My second idea would be to propose and actually develop one of those ideas. I would like to consider for my capstone a mobile learning tool that educators can utilize during any downtime in class. Or, to put it simply, a 2018 update to the idea of educational games. A quick proof-of-concept idea would be a gamified version of flashcards that one more student can quickly pick up and play if there are a spare 5-10 minutes of class. The content of these flash cards can be inputted by the teacher ahead of time and can correspond with current lessons. It would be a less distracting, more productive use of a group of students time who would otherwise be interrupting the class, staring at the wall, or on their phones anyway. And more than a distraction, it could be a way for the educator to more easily help the students engage with the material. Similar products could be used to enhance lesson plans and group activities.


Part Three: Weekly Learning Journal 

      Our lecture component for this module focused on important components of the program that can help us beyond our undergraduate studies, specifically, Capstone Ideas, Internships, and Grad School. I don't have any specific capstone ideas besides the ones we came up with this week. However, I am sure that once I learn new skills throughout the program new ideas will come to me. As much as I would love the opportunity to attend Grad School unless I am eligible for some sort of tuition reimbursement program through whatever career I am able to get after the program, I don't think it is a realistic option. Although I am very interested in pursuing whatever internship opportunities I am qualified for. For the last few years, I have been itching to start gaining real work experience, so an internship where I can put the knowledge I'm gaining through this program would be ideal. I have just recently made a move that puts me closer to the L.A. area, so I am hoping that will open up more opportunities for me.


Comments

Popular Posts