CST 205 - Week 1

Returning to Programming

CST 205 will be the first Computer Science course I have taken in a few years and will hopefully be a good re-introduction back into programming. I loved the programming courses I have taken in the past but chose to stop because I could not properly balance working and going to a full-time University at the same time. I was able to pass the work, but did not feel like I was getting much out of it, and only really working to satisfy deadlines. I am hoping that this program will give me a better work-life balance in a way that will let me really engage with the material. This first week has shown me that I am not as behind as I feared, and that I should approach the next courses in this program with a little more confidence.

Lab 3

Labs 1 & 2 Didn't require any independent programming so I chose not to include them. Lab 3, however, was our first peer programming assignenment. We were tasked with coming up with various functions that will edit images. Our first few filters were practicing scanning through the entire image and changing the red & blue values of each pixel. After that we made a function that uses an included function in JES to increase the brightness of an image. The two more interesting effects were the Black and White, and Negative filters. The negative filter is acheived by setting the RGB value in every pixel to its inverse, creating a similar effect to a real photo-negative. The Black and White filter takes every RGB value and finds its average.  It then sets the RBG values to the average value of that pixel. The resulting effect is a monochrome version of the image.

Comments

Popular Posts